Friday 1 November 2013

Why a blog about Nico Di Angelo?

I have so much to say about The House of Hades and the development of the Nico character, so I have set up this blog to get it all out.

As you have found this page you are probably aware of the issue.  This is the ninth book in the best selling series read by young adults and children.  Readers will typically be around 10 or 11 years old or older.  The series is also popular among adults.

The controversy (if it exists at all) is that one of the central characters is gay, is this suitable for children's literature?  

I am delighted that the book has this story line and the great way it has been written and for any parents who may doubt whether it is suitable for 9 or 10 year old advanced readers, I can assure you it is perfectly suitable.  I am a mother of young children.

In future posts I aim to look at the character development in more detail, address some of the critics of the development and more.  Now I will end by pointing to the author's own comments on the Nico character development in this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment