Monday 11 November 2013

What to Read After Percy Jackson?

There are a good many online recommendations of books for young adults who have enjoyed those written by Rick Riodhan.

Obviously, everyone should read the Kane Chronicle & Harry Potter!

Rick Riordhans recommendations (for young readers) are here:
http://www.rickriordan.com/my-books/percy-jackson/resources/ricks-reading-recommendations.aspx
And Rick's reviews of a range of books including some for adults are here:
http://rickriordan.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/ricks-reads-collection-from-blog.html

Young people looking for lesbian and gay characters in teenage books may find something worth reading among those listed at this link or click on LGBT books tab at the top of this blog:
 http://reasonstolikenicodiangelo.blogspot.co.uk/p/more-gay-characters-in.html

Some of the books I have enjoyed within the past 18 months:

The Hobbit - I found this too slow and difficult as a child so I am always amazed to see 11 year olds with a copy!  I first completed it in my mid 30s and again just before the film came out.

Tales of the Greek Heroes by Roger Lancelyn Green a good way to brush up on the old Myths.

One of the things I look for in a book is humour, so one of the best books I have read this year is:
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson.  Laugh out loud, fast paced, crazy.  I think the older you are the more you would like it as the story weaves in and out of real events of the twentieth century.  The story is far fetched and I like that.  I also liked the writing style (many have been very critical of this)  - the author does not conformed to the conventions of story telling.

The Island by Victoria Hislop 
was thrust upon me after a friend learnt I was going to Greece - a trip inspired by RR.  This is another fast paced gripping book but one that needs to be read with a box of tissues.  It is not just that so much sad stuff happens in the story but even though this is a work of fiction events like these really did take place on the Island of Crete (land of the labyrinth and the Minotaur) within the last 100 years.  I have another book by this author to read very soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment